Prep: 15 mins Cook:1 hr Total:1 hr 15 mins Servings: 8
Yield: 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine divided (you could even use olive oil)
- 2 cans diced vege-chicken (Loma Linda or Worthington)
- 2 fresh poblano peppers, seeded and slice into strips
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces sour cream
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Step 1: In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Drain diced vege-chicken. Sautee diced vege-chicken in olive oil in the skillet with poblano peppers, jalapeno and garlic. Squeeze the juice from one lime half over the vege-chicken. Simmer for 25 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 3: In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over low heat. Gradually stir in flour and half-and-half. Mix mushrooms, sour cream, cilantro, and the rest of the lime juice. Simmer until mushrooms are tender (about 10 minutes).
Step 4: In a 9x13 inch baking dish melt butter in the baking dish. Cut up and spread 3 tortillas. Pour half the chicken pepper mixture and one cup mozzarella over the tortillas. Pour half the cilantro sauce evenly over the first layer. Add another layer with remaining chicken and pepper mixture. Pour the rest of the vege-chicken pepper mixture and the cilantro sauce evenly over the casserole. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Step 5: Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.