Search Me

Monday, December 21, 2015

Grandma's Vege-Chicken Casserole

At the end of the holiday season, you get a lot of stuffing mix on sale at the grocery store. So here's something you can do with all that stuffing. It makes a casserole that's tasty with leftover cranberry sauce.It's based on a Betty Crocker chicken casserole recipe that some grandmother or other made up for a quickie way to stretch out some leftover chicken.  It's perfect for making a large dish from a can of veggie-chicken.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can Loma Linda Chik'n Chunks, Worthington Fri-Chik, Worthington Diced Chik, Loma Linda Fried Chik'n
  • 1 can cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
  • 1 package stuffing mix bread crumbs (don't use the spice mix unless the bread crumbs are unflavored)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated cheese. 
Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.   
  2. Place diced vege-chicken in a bowl with stuffing bread crumbs and mushroom soup and mix it up evenly with melted butter.
  3. Spread mixture over the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. 
  4. Top with shredded cheese. 
  5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly.
Serving Suggestion:

This is one of those make it on Friday and take it to potluck on Sabbath dishes. It reheats well AND it actually tastes better the next day.This is your basic cover it with foil potluck dish; great for reheating.

© 2015 by Tom King

5 comments:

  1. Tom, as a life-long SDA vegetarian, I love your blog! Such precious memories!!!

    I'm hoping you can help me find a recipe for "Peanut Butter Loaf." All I remember is that it has peanut butter and tomato paste in it. Can't remember anything else. Hope you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut Butter Loaf

    Ingredients

    3 large potatoes
    2 cups peanut butter
    1 can tomato paste 6oz.
    1 can tomato sauce 15oz.
    6 cups corn flakes
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 clove garlic
    3 pinches of sage
    1 teaspoon Italian spices
    Salt to taste

    Directions
    Boil potatoes until soft. Peel and smash up with a fork. Add peanut butter and mix into potato mixture. Add cornflakes, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add spices and onions. Mixture will be stiff. Pour into brownie size pan. Cook until browned on the top. Slice and serve.
    Serves 8 to 10

    *Not my recipe but if I remember correctly it made two loafs when I made it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your column (and I don't read anyone else's columns), I felt like I was back at the cafeteria at Fresno Union Academy (now Fresno Adventist Academy)! Oh, those were the days! Or at Soquel Campmeeting and the corndogs Saturday night after the evening meetings at Junior and Senior Tents! My husband recognized the Cottage cheese loaf! I had such a beautiful upbringing whatwith all the activities our church and school had. There was never a dull moment. So I raised my kids in church that way and all these events were part of their activities. I apologized one day when they were adults that I couldn't do more for them and they cried out, "What? We had the best childhood anyone could have?" Whew! I did something right. And as Author Ellen White said, every Sabbath should have a special meal and dessert. So I did and we had several of your recipes on a beautiful table each Sabbath. One of my girls when she was older and out of the home commented that on Sabbaths whereever she was, she would always think, "I wonder what Mom has for Sabbath dinner!" OH! You brought so many memories and all good. I found a can of chops or DInner cuts we called them then, and I'm going to make my Mom's every Friday night meal: Toasty fried dinner cuts, mashed potatoes, green beans and cole slaw! To die for. I was priviledged to be born into a religion that had all these activities, good food and great friends! I, now, count You as one who brought such good and happy memories! Thanks so much. Keep cooking! Alfred and Norma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe. I remember tasting this dish at a potluck at Loma Linda hospital years ago. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dose Tom King have a recipe book? larryhunton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete