Search Me

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Sheila's Never Fail Perfect Pie Crust


I've had some requests for Mama's never fail, flaky perfect pie crust. The woman can make a pie crust I'm here to tell you. Her made from scratch chocolate pie using this crust recipe is to live for (I say live rather than die because you are going to want a second piece. It's easy and hard to mess up.  Enjoy!       - Tom


Ingredients:

4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups shortening
1 tbsp vinegar
1 large egg
1/2 cup water

Directions:
  1. Put first 3 ingredients in large bowl
  2. Mix well with fork
  3. Add shortening and mix with your hands until crumbly
  4. In small bowl beat water, vinegar and egg
  5. Combine the two mixtures, kneading with hands until mixed
  6. Divide dough into four or five portions and shape into round flat patties
  7. Chill at least 1/2 hour
  8. May be frozen if individually sealed in plastic wrap or ziplock bag
Summary:

Makes 4 or 5 crusts. I've used this recipe for more than 30 years and never had it fail. I use my hands to mix the dough because the more gently you mix it, the flakier the crust will be. When you are ready to make a pie, thaw (if frozen) and roll our with rolling pin. There are tools to make the fancy edges with or you can do it the old fashioned way by pinching the edges to make a nice looking edge.

Sheila  

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to find my copy of this recipe! Thank you for posting this!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete