Search Me

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Uncle Tom's Puyallup Style Barbecue Sauce

Makes great barbecued Tender-Bits

I ran out of KC Masterpiece and Bull's Eye barbecue sauce the other day after my wife had put in her order for barbecued something chicken-like. I already had some Fri-Chik in the oven, so I ran upstairs, jumped on the Internet and found some interesting looking recipes. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the right ingredients.

So, typical man, I decide to wing it. I call this Puyallup Style Barbecue Sauce so that people in Kansas City, Memphis or St. Louis won't be offended. This barbecue sauce is my own invention. Try this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you try it and think your vege-chicken is ruined. But trust me. It won't be. This stuff is great and you can adjust it to your own taste if you are any good at all as a cook. It also eliminates the need for Worcestershire sauce (a common BBQ sauce ingredient) which often has anchovies in it.  If you want to stay strictly vegetarian, this version is the way to go.

It takes about 10 minutes to mix up and maybe 15 minutes to cook. This makes about two cups of a nice tangy barbecue sauce. 

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4+ cup water
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon grape jelly
Directions:
Put 3 tablespoon olive oil in a little pot on medium-high heat.  Add the garlic powder. Stir just a bit till the garlic powder starts turning brown. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup. I like Delmonte, but I used Hunts for this time out because you can get it in bulk at Cosco. Add the rest of the seasonings and reduce the heat to medium.

I adjust the recipe to taste. I like a little less vinegar and a little more ketchup. The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons paprika, but I cut it in half because the Cajun seasoning has paprika in it. The Cajun seasoning has chili powder and cayenne.  The Cajun seasoning can be increased to make the sauce hotter. My bunch likes a milder barbecue flavor, but you can add more Cajun seasoning or a touch of plain cayenne if you like it hot. I'm not sure who came up with the grape jelly, but I transmigrated it from another recipe and it got rave reviews, so I ain't messin' with the magic.

Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes until it thickens.  If it's too thick, just add a bit more water to get it to the thickness you like.

I poured the rest into an empty KC Masterpiece bottle and stuck it in the fridge. I think I'll make some more to keep on hand.  I like it with vegetarian Wham, Tender-Bits, Vege-steaks and chili beans too.

Enjoy.

Tom






No comments:

Post a Comment