Here's how to get a nice and very moist cake out of a box cake mix and you don't have to tie up your oven if you've got a couple of casseroles going in there. It takes a little longer, but the cake I made in our crockpot came out really well. You just have to be patient because you can only cook the layers one at a time and they take one to two hours for each layer. Makes a nice sturdy little cake and you don't have to worry so much about burning it. This is a very forgiving way to bake a cake.
- Cake mix or your own homemade cake batter
- Crock pot
- Spray oil or butter
- Plug in your crock pot and turn it on high.
- Spray the inside with PAM or spray on margarine or rub the inside and bottom with butter or oil
- Make up your cake batter just like you normally do.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the crock pot. Cover and save the rest.
- Cover and cook until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean
- Gently run around the edges of the cake with a spatula or narrow pancake flipper till the cake releases from the bottom
- Turn the cake out onto a cake plate. Flip it back over and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, respray the inside of the crock and scoop the rest of the batter into it.
- Cover and cook again for one or two hours until a knife in the center comes out clean.
- Again, gently loosen the edges of the cake from the pot and turn out on a plate.
- Allow to cool, the frost the first layer, place the second layer on top of the first and frost that. The layers may be very moist and so you have to handle them gently so they don't break. They are studier once they've cooled.
- Cover and take to potluck with you. Makes nice tall delicious looking pieces. This is the one I made for my chocolate loving sweetie. She was much impressed.
© 2016 by Tom King