This is one of my favorite side dishes, especially with Barbecue Tender-bits and almost any other vegetarian main dish. Lots of good stuff in this and it is a nice flexible recipe to boot. You can add all sorts of fun stuff to it. Double it for
- 1 can of LeSeur Peas or a package of frozen peas, partially thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion (you can also use chopped green onions)
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese cubed (you can also use Velveeta)
- ½ cup Kraft mayonnaise
- ½ cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish or 3 sweet gherkins choped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 avocado cubed (optional)
- ¼ cup sweet bell pepper – chopped (optional)
- 2 firm Roma Tomatoes diced (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- That’s pretty much it. Transfer it to a pretty serving bowl and you’re done. I like to sprinkle a little Paprika on top to give it color.
- Chill until served.
Note: Works even better if you make it on Friday for Sabbath potluck. Just keep it in the fridge till you leave for church, then put it in the fridge there. It’s really good cold.