|This is the cheesy version with sliced green onions.|
To continue with our Crock Pot themed dishes, here's a simple salsa chicken without cheese or tortillas if you want to do it that way. Cheese and tortillas are strictly optional. Here's how it works:
- 1 large or 2 small cans of Worthington Fri-Chick, Loma Linda Fried Chik'n, or Morningstar Farm Vegetarian Chicken Patties.
- 1 cup salsa (homemade or store-bought) or Picante Sauce
- 1 can petite diced canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup diced fine onions
- 1/2 cup celery diced fine
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Can of sweet corn drained (optional)
- 3 tbsp sour cream (reduced fat is okay too)
- 5 tortillas cut in quarters (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Place vege-chicken in the bottom of the crock pot
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the vege-chicken and then layer the vegetables and optional tortilla quarters, and corn.
- Pour a half cup of water over the mixture, set it on low and cook for six to eight hours.
- During the last hour, cover with cheese to let it melt (optional)
- Dollop sour cream on the top to serve.
Makes about 8 servings or so. The recipe is easy to double. If you have a removable crock, all you have to do is cover it when you prepare it on Friday and carry crock and cooker to church for potluck. Plug the crockpot in before church and it should be nice and warm before church. Add the sour cream when you pull out the crock to serve your Crockpot Salsa Vege-Chicken.
© 2017 by Tom King