|All the potato salad that was left after a "light" lunch|
Mama’s tater salad is epic and best of all – no mustard. I suppose you could add some, but you’d ruin it in my not-so-humble opinion as a noted gastronome. This recipe serves a platoon of Marines and likely will be scraped clean at potluck. It’s best made on Friday and served cold on Sabbath. It only improves the longer it sits in the fridge. It won’t spoil. It will be eaten within 2 days in most cases. Just don’t let the family get at it before potluck or you could be carrying an empty bowl to church.
- 4-6 well-scrubbed potatoes
- 1 - 1½ cups Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
- 1 – 1½ cups Hellman’s or Kraft Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped Bell peppers
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- Small jar of pimento
- Salt, onion and garlic powder to taste
- 2 small cans sliced olives
- 6 hard-boiled and chilled eggs
- Boil eggs and chill
- Boil unpeeled potatoes till tender but slightly firm. Allow to cool.
- Peel and dice potatoes into half-inch cubes and place in serving bowl
- Peel boiled eggs and grate into serving bowl.
- Add mayo, salad dressing – adjust by adding more or less to taste
- Add relish, pimento, celery, peppers, onion, and black olives. (Reserve a few black olives to garnish finished salad).
- Stir in garlic and onion powder to taste. Go easy. You can’t back up.
- Sprinkle paprika and olive slices on top to garnish.
- You can add a few sprigs of fresh parsley to give the whole thing color.
© 2017 by Tom King