Here's something you can make up ahead of time to create an instant Cole slaw for potluck. Kraft® makes a similar Cole slaw dressing in a bottle, but if you're making slaw in the industrial sizes, here's a recipe that's easy to double and is really really good. Also, if you're like me and can't do the sugar, you can add Stevia or Splenda to it ans since it's not cooked, you get a nice sweet taste to your dressing without shoot your blood glucose out of the park. You can chop up your own cabbage, carrots and such or you can buy a bag of Cole slaw already shredded, just add dressing. Here's how to make your own so that it tastes just like you want it to:
- 1-1/4 cup mayonnaise. (I like to split it half and half between mayo and Miracle Whip Salad Dressing®, but that's just me)
- 1/3 cup sugar or 1/3 to 1/2 cup Stevia, Truvia, Splenda, etc.
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp celery seed (every well-equipped potlucker's kitchen should stock this stuff)
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt or creole seasoning (I like Tony's® but that's just me)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together into a bowl and stir with a wire whisk.
Jazz your Cole slaw up a bit by adding some combination of these things:
- Slivered almonds and crushed Ramen noodles for an oriental version
- Chow mein noodles
- With raisins like our grandmothers used to make.
- Cashews or peanuts
- Dill weed or parsley
- Finely chopped celery
- Red onions
- Toasted sesame seeds
© 2017 by Tom King